Sleep Appliance Therapy
Sleep appliance therapy is a effective way to treat mild to moderate sleep apnea. A sleep appliance keeps the airway unobstructed during sleep by repositioning the lower jaw. As a result the airway remains open and decreases or eliminates apneic episodes during sleep. So for patients that have been diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea or are CPAP intolerant, a sleep appliance is a effective alternative treatment option.
How sleepy are you? An Epiworth Sleepiness Scale is widely used to subjectively measure a patients sleepiness. By rating your chance of dozing off, not just being tired in eight different situations, we can estimate whether you are experiencing excessive sleepiness. For each situation, decide whether you would have:
- No chance of dozing = 0
- Slight Chance of dozing = 1
- Moderate chance of dozing = 2
- High chance of dozing = 3
Write down the number that corresponds to your choice and then total your score to rate your sleepiness.
- How likely are you to fall asleep sitting and reading?
- How likely are you to fall asleep watching tv?
- Would you fall asleep sitting inactive in a public place? (e.g. a theater or meeting)
- How likely are you to fall asleep as a passenger in a car riding for an hour, without a break?
- Would you fall asleep if you were to lie down in the afternoon?
- How likely are you to fall asleep sitting talking with someone?
-How likely are you to fall asleep sitting quietly after lunch without alcohol?
- Would you fall asleep in a car while stopped for a few minutes in traffic?
Now that you've taken the test total your score. If your total is 0-7 it is unlikely that you are abnormally sleepy. A score of 8 or 9 means you have an average amount of daytime sleepiness. If your total is between 10-15 you may be excessively sleepy, and may want to consider seeking medical attention. If you scored 16-24 on the test you are excessively sleepy and should seriously consider seeking medical attention.
We would be happy to discuss the advantages of sleep appliance therapy with you. Please call the office today to schedule your sleep consult.